Waltham restaurant history
Through the years many restaurants have come and gone from the streets of Waltham.
This is a recent history of the restaurant scene.
The guide is sorted by street name and number.
If you have any facts that I should include, please contact me.
Market Place Drive (1265 Main Street) is the former Polaroid site
- Bear Hill Road
- Beaver Street
- 5 Beaver Street - Dean Dairy (photographs) -
In the spring of 2001, this favorite ice cream stand failed to open.
The spot is now occupied by some new houses.
- Carter Street
- 3 Carter Street - September 12, 2016 - Biagio Express confirmed that
they are now closed. Tap-Tap Station Authentic Haitian Cuisine opened at the site in early 2017.
- Cooper Street
- 16 Cooper Street - In the 90's this was an Italian restaurant called Ristorante Marcellino.
At the turn of the century former politician Joe Malone took it over, and it became
C. P. Nutting's (photographs), an upscale steak house.
That business failed, and in March 2002 it reopened under the former management,
and is once again
. On July 11, 2015, their website announced: "To all our friends, We want to thank you for the 13 years spent together. We hope to see soon as it is time to say goodbye. A presto..."
Rhino Lounge At Afro Grill is now
at this address.
- Crescent Street
- 10 Crescent Street - Karibu Restaurant, serving African cuisine, was open as of March 13 2007.
- 185 Crescent Street - On July 29, 2016 the second location of Brelundi
opened at the Watch Factory.
- 241 Crescent Street - Victoria's Cafe Restaurant
opened in January of 2003, serving American breakfasts and Peruvian the rest of the day. They closed in
February of 2012, due to Waltham Watch Factory's termination of their lease.
(review , review
- Felton Street
- 16 Felton Street - Franca's was closed as of December 2009. The story I heard was that the former owner of Sal's was going to reopen at this location.
Franca's $$ - - 781-899-7200
- Corner of Felton and Harvard - Saldi's -
From an email received in January of 2004 - Scott: You failed to include Saldis Pizzeria. I forgot the address, but it was a constant watering place from 1953-1957. where a large cheese pizza cost $0.90 and a glass of beer $0.35. I know that in 50 years, things change, but Saldis was forever.
Another reader wrote in September of 2013 - Regarding Saldi's Pizzaria. It was on Felton Street on the corner of Felton and Harvard. It was called just Saldi's. The woman who made the pizzas was named Betty. Best pizza in Waltham at the time.
- Fifth Avenue
- 200 5th Avenue - October 16, 2019 - Craft Food Hall opened. The space, created by Doug and Melissa Ferriman, features two restaurants, Project X Pizza and Sousviderie, as well as a pour your own beer and wine wall.
- High Street
- 223 High Street - July 2006 - Paisano Restaurant and Bar is now serving
Mexican and Guatamalan cuisine at the former site of Buckaroo's,
which was closed as of May 2006. Before Buckaroo's, it was Patty's Donuts.
- Lexington Street
- 33 Lexington Street - In February, 2012 Kabob & Tandoor moved to a more spacious restaurant at 699 Main Street, former site of Wright Seafood. That site was abandoned in January of 2011 and moved to the lower floor of the Waltham India Market at 315 Moody Street.
- 146 Lexington Street - Kenny Rogers Chicken Roasters was built here in the 90's,
but closed within a year. The restaurant now houses the popular Waltham branch of
Watertown's Demos Restaurant, an economical choice
for Greek cuisine.
- 249 Lexington Street - Legends Hall of Fame Grill closed as of February 2011. April, 2011 - City Streets Restaurant, an "upscale casual pub", is open.
- 1077 Lexington Street - Subway opened their third outlet in Waltham here in 2015.
- 1100 Lexington Street - Late in 2002 - Panera Bread opens in the plaza on Lexington Street
1110 Lexington Street - January 23, 2019 - Chipotle Mexican Grill opened a new restaurant, and normal hours of operation are 10:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days per week.
- Rick said: "There used to be a Chinese restaurant in the middle of the shopping plaza where Panera is on Lexington St, called China Tower. It burnt down in the late 70's I believe...". Does anyone know more about that?
Lexington Street - March 28, 2019 - Friendly Ice Cream on Lexington Street closed. Rumor is that it will be replaced by a Chase Bank.
- Main Street
- 39 Main Street - This was the Ground Round for a long time, but it is now
John Brewer's Tavern & Restaurant.
It started out as a Howard Johnson, and was Roundup Steakhouse for a few years in the early 70's.
- 470 Main Street - Sal's Family Restaurant closed after a fire on July 15, 2007. Sal has no plans for a new restaurant.
- 507 Main Street - December 24, 2019 - Waltham News Tributes reported: After 33 years at Wilson's Diner -- including 24 years as owner -- Arthur Karras retired from the breakfast business. A new owner took over on Jan. 1.
- 573 Main Street - August 19, 2016 - The Asia Wok restaurant on Main Street was closed after a fire that caused about $20,000 in damages. They plan to reopen after repairs.
- 603 Main Street - There was a place called "Ma's Bar" that was on the corner of Main and Church street that served food. Pat Fidele, a guitar teacher at Pampalone Music was in the house band (circa 1965).
Country music and old time rock & roll was played on a small stage.
Now it is The Common Cafe.
- 617 Main Street - A number of different restaurants have occupied this location.
In the 90's, it was Viet Foods. It became the JTK Grille and Sushi Bar for a short
time, and later was Sushi Yasu, a family
owned restaurant serving Japanese, Korean, and Thai food as well as sushi. Apparently the name
was changed again to Sushi Box in 2009. They closed in 2018.
Aries Noodle & Dumpling opened on January 27, 2019
- 655 Main Street - Sam's Deli occupied this spot, with several different
proprietors, until March 2003, when it reopened as
The Coffee Ring
Review. In 2004, the name
was changed to In A Pickle.
In November of 2013, the manager of the planned Bliss Diner, announced in September, announced that it will not be opening at the site. In early December, 2014,
Leo's Place Diner opened here.
- 659 Main Street - Occupied by Chinese institution New House Restaurant for
years, this spot became Tumrubthai Restaurant in late 2001. Since then the
name was changed to Baan Thai.
It was originally the Nanking Restaurant.
- 663 Main Street - This was Bluestone Bistro before it reopened as
Carambola, a sister restaurant
to Boston's Elephant Walk, specializing in Cambodian & French cuisine.
In 2005, the name was changed to Elephant Walk.
April 30, 2013 - The Elephant Walk's owner, Bob Perry, has announced plans to expand the restaurant from 90 to 152 seats, with an expected completion date in September, according to a post on the Brand New Watch blog.
November 11, 2013 - A note on their website says that The Elephant Walk has closed. On November 11, 2014 - Gustazo Cuban Cafe opened at this location. They closed their restaurant in Belmont and moved it to Waltham.
- 677 Main Street - In 2004, the former storefront of Allegro Printing opened as Cafe On The Common. On August 1 2006 Sebastian and Alexander's, a new ice cream shop, is opened
in an expansion into the space next door.
- 699 Main Street - Waltham Seafood Restaurant, as of October 2003, had signs in
the window saying "closed" and "space for rent".
March 19, 2004 - Wright Seafood & Italian Restaurant
opens in the former Waltham Seafood building. The new restaurant was closed as
of April 2006.
On December 12, 2008 Kabob & Tandoor reopened at
this address. The tiny storefront at 33 Lexington Street
moved to a casual but elegantly decorated restaurant furnished with booths and tables. In spring of 2011 they moved again to a space in the Indian grocery store at 315 Moody Street.
- 806 Main Street - Arbys was
torn down in 2001 to make way for
- 831 Main Street - February 23, 2012 - Moe's Southwest Grill opened a location on the corner with Francis Street at .
The building is the former site of Tony D's, which moved a block east on Main Street.
- 835 Main Street - Beijing Star Restaurant, a local favorite, closed in September of 2010. Mu Lan Taiwanese Restaurant opened on March 29, 2011. They closed during
the summer of 2015, but reopened in September after expanding into the space next door, which had been the Arcadia Restaurant.
- 837 Main Street - The Arcadia Restaurant closed on November 23, 2014, to make room for expansion of Mulan next door.
- 849 Main Street - Joe Sent Me
was formerly The Press Box.
- 869 Main Street - Summer of 2005 - Costello's Pub closed. By March 12, 2007,
it had reopened as a
- 873 Main Street - Anna's Pizza House,
run by Anna herself for years, was sold early in the new century, but retained
- 888 Main Street - Il Capriccio was a Brighams Ice Cream up until around 1993.
- 895 Main Street - May 31, 2018 - Hakata Ramen opened.
- 897 Main Street - The restaurant at this spot, under several different names,
was run by the same family for 37 years. Starting out as Piece of Pizza,
it was later a Papa Gino's, and finally Mama Josie's after founder Josephine Hebert.
It closed in February 2002. On February 8, 2004, Papa George's Pizza
opened at this location.
That establishment closed, and it reopened on May 1, 2006 as
the new site of Sabatino's.
In November of 2016 new owners opened Marsala's Italian Kitchen
- 912 Main Street - Pete's Pizza & Wings (formerly Johnnie's Pizza Shop) (Review by Mike Morrison) became Hall Of Fame Pizzeria & Wings in March of 2010. May 5, 2012 - Bits & Bites Cafe opened. In the 1950's, this was Submarine Sandwich Shop (Angelo Moreno, owner).
- 922 Main Street - In August of 2015 Jin's Sichuan House Restaurant opened. A sign was seen on July 20, announcing that Hon Dynasty had closed.
May 11, 2019 - Late in April, Jin's Sichuan House Restaurant on Main Street changed their name to Noodle Hut, and changed the menu. Noodle Hut closed in October of 2019. October 16, 2019 Jiang Nan opened at this location.
- 1006 Main Street - Bickford's Family Restaurant was closed as of January 2006. The building was razed in April of 2012.
- 1030 Main Street - November, 2013 - Five Guys Burgers and Fries and Chipotle Mexican Grill are open at the new Main Street Marketplace. On November 27, 2013 Panera Bread opened its 2nd store in Waltham at the
same location. The grand opening was slated for Wednesday, December 4.
- 1056 Main Street- In 2008 - Pizzeria Express changed its name to
Cafe Angelinos, featuring
Italian dishes, pizzas, and seafood.
On December 12, 2016 Peters Greek Kitchen opened at this location.
Unknown address on Main Street - From an email received in April of 2011 - Doesn't anyone remember Dandy Dutch Candy? It was in a block of buildings next to what was once Waltham savings bank (the original building) and almost diagonal from where Rex Trailer is now. It's drivng me nuts I have been looking for years for old photos or pictures to no avail. Here is a photo. From an obituary: Charles G. Cokkinos, age 89
of Medford, died suddenly December 27, 2004 at the Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford. Charlie was born in Boston October 3, 1915, son of the late George K. Cokkinos and Melpo (Apostle) Cokkinos. Charlie, for over 40 years, was a "Candy Man," working for the Palace of Sweets in Malden, after which he opened Dandy Dutch Candies in Waltham. Email from another relative, August 2017: "My wife is sister-in-law to Charlie Cokkinos (Wife = Janie Lilas Sentner), owner and operator of the "Dandy Dutch Candy" shop on Main Street in Waltham. You had a few questions regarding what happened to the restaurant/candy shop. Charlie sold and moved his store to wholesale fudge only in Medford, Mass in 1965. His wife Janei, known as Lilas, worked the Waltham store for many years. She is still with us in a nursing home in Medford."
- 12 Market Place Drive - December 19, 2014 - The second Starbucks in Waltham opened this morning.
- 70 Market Place Drive - October 2, 2014 - Jake n Joes Sports Grille
was opened by the Nocera family.
- 74 Tower Road - February 10, 2016 - Flank
opened. They closed on April 19, 2018.
- 74 Tower Road - January 3, 2019 - The Federal opened at the former
site of Flank.
560 Moody Street - Ritcey's Sea Food Kitchen
began in 1911 as a fish market opened by Ernest Ritcey, whose portrait is above the front
counter. The market was turned into a restaurant by his son Harry in the 1940s. After
several more succesions of family members, the restaurant closed in January of 2004. It
is scheduled to re-open on April 1, under the direction of Kim Collins, Kevin Ritcey's daughter.
The new business failed, and was closed for good by February of 2006. An Italian restaurant,
Ristorante Gemelli opened there in August of 2006, but was closed by July of 2008.
714 Moody Street - Cafe Berlottes closed in March of 2003, and Franco's Italian Pizzeria
moved in from it's old location at 727 Moody Street.
731 Moody Street - On February 11 2006 - Shoppers Cafe was destroyed by a fire that
consumed a building that also contained apartments, a hair salon, and a motorcycle
shop. It has since been rebuilt and reopened. Photograph.
- 11 Moody Street - This was the Central Square Sea Grill, later called Liberty Lunch. Photo of the building.
If you look closely at the sign, it reads "Eat at the Sea Grill". Richardson's Hardware & the Dandy Dutch were at the far end in later years. The full name was Central Square Sea Grille. Inside of the Sea Grille in 1923.
- 100 Moody Street - September 4, 2014 - News Tribune published a photo of sign on the door of Mimi's Roast Beef:
"To all of Mimi's customers. It is with a heavy heart that I close the doors to Mimi's due to unforeseen
circumstances. I would like to personally thank all of Mimi's loyal customers. It has been a pleasure
serving you and getting to know you all. Health and best wishes."
December 22, 2014 - The Mimi's Roast Beef building near the downtown train station was purchased
by the owner of Biagio. It is under renovation, and a new sign for "Biagio Express" is up.
- 123 Moody Street - February 23 2007 - Biagio Ristorante & Bar opened
by the owners of Casa Mia (review ).
May 19. 2019 - Posted on their facebook page yesterday: Biagio Ristorante & Bar
We have had a wonderful 18 years serving Waltham and surrounding communities at our two locations, Casa Mia and Biagio Ristorante & Bar. We have sold our business and will be closing in early June. Our family has been able to celebrate many special occasions with you and we are grateful for memories that will last a lifetime. We are excited about the new changes coming to 123 Moody Street, and as always, give our love and support to all of the local Waltham businesses. Ciao!
- 220 Moody Street - The Red Rooster occupied this site until 1999. It became Jake and Earl's until Earl retired, and it was renamed Jake's Dixie Roadhouse.
Jake's was closed on May 31, 2010, after owner Don Yovicsin announced he was retiring from the restaurant in order to care for an ailing family member.
- 227 Moody Street - Ciro's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
occupied this prime location on the first floor of the Cronin building.
In January, 2003, the Waltham location closed, and a few months later, all
of the sites of this small local chain were empty.
The site reopened on July 22, 2003 as Margaritas Mexican Restaurant & Watering Hole.
- 240 Moody Street - The Skellig closed in July of 2014.
Garcia Brogan's opened at this address
on July 21, 2015.
December 15, 2018 - Garcia Brogan's posted in facebook: Joins us this Saturday, December 15 for a fond farewell & last hurrah...
June 17, 2019 - Gustazo is planning to move from their current Main Street location to the former Garcia Brogan's site at 240 Moody Street.
- 246 Moody Street - Kung Fu Tea opened on March 8, 2019. This is a
New York City-based chain that was founded in 2009, specializing in bubble tea. The storefront used to be occupied by the old Cricket Wireless shop.
- 256 Moody Street - August 12, 2014 - Downtown Waltham Partnership announced that Boston Beer Works will be opening a new restaurant at the former site of the Watch City Brewing Company. Brewer's Tap & Table opened here on November 9, 2016.
- 265 Moody Street - In A Pickle opened here in April of 2013, having moved from their old location on Main Street. Asian Grill closed in October of 2012. This was open for a little while as Tomato City before
it changed hands to become the Asian Grill.
Before Tomato City it had been the Moody Spa.
Review by Eric Salerno.
- 273 Moody Street - May 15 2006 - Opening of Guanachapi's Restaurant, featuring authentic Guatamalteca, Salvadorena,
Mexicana & American dishes.
- 286 Moody Street - La Piazza Cafe, a coffee and pastry shop, closed in January
of 2006. In June 2006 Ponzu "Far east and the rest"
- 313 Moody Street - August 9, 2008 - Grand opening of The New Landing restaurant.
Formerly at this location, closed as of June 2008, was Iguana Cantina
(Wendy and Tom review )
In June, 2012 The New Landing was closed. The site at 313 Moody Street was purchased by the Waltham Islamic Society.
- 315 Moody Street - became the new home of Kabob & Tandoor, formerly at 699 Main Street, in spring of 2011.
- 329 Moody Street - May 6, 2019 - City of Waltham posted on facebook: "Today, Mayor McCarthy and Ward 8 Councillor, Cathyann Harris, officially welcomed "Bonchon" to the Waltham Community with a ribbon cutting ceremony! Bonchon specializes in Korean-style fried chicken and a variety of savory Asian fusion dishes. It's located at 329 Moody Street, the former site of J & N Joke Shop. Check in for their grand opening today (May 6th) on Facebook or Yelp for a free side or drink with any entree!"
- 336 Moody Street - September 8, 2014 - New Mother India announced on their website
that they have closed after 33 years on Moody Street.
On July 20, 2015 Bistro781 announced on their facebook site: "We are very happy to announce that we will open our doors to the public, this Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 at 5pm."
- 342 Moody Street - This site housed the Moody Lounge from the late 1960's until he sold it was sold to Robert around the year 2000. They had pool and live music in the 1970's. Robert's Restaurant and Bar closed in 2011. In the fall of 2011 Stadium Sports Bar & Grill opened.
The name was changed to Playmakers Bar and Grill in May of 2013 after a change in ownership.
- 361 Moody Street - November 12, 2013 - A call to the Tuscan Grill confirmed that they are now closed.
Red Bird opened on July 15, 2014. This is the first restaurant for chef Daniel Stokes of the Franklin Cafes in Boston and Gloucester.
August 31, 2019 - Red Bird closed.
September 16, 2019 - Saw on facebook today: A sign on the front door of Red Bird at 361 Moody Street reads "CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS."
Owner Dan Stokes explained.
"Red Bird is closed at the moment. We closed over Labor Day weekend. While a new concept is not out of the question, I am entertaining offers for the sale of the restaurant as well. I'm looking to move to a larger space, not sure where yet," he said.
Stokes opened the New American restaurant back in 2014.
- 374 Moody Street - The popular Heritage Restaurant occupied this space for a number
of years after moving from a smaller location across the street.
Tom Can Cook, which serves Thai & Chinese
food, took over after the Heritage closed on 25 February 2001. A 2006 Boston Globe Review of Tom Can Cook talks about their recent partnership with InBoston, and the addition of Korean fried chicken to the menu.
Photos of the Heritage Restaurant.
- 380 Moody Street - Jewel Of India, an Indian restaurant, was closed as of June 2008.
review by Nicole
- 435 Moody Street - The Upper Crust Pizzeria opened at at the former
site of the Panopticon Gallery in late July 2007. They closed in October of 2012.
- 450 Moody Street - Joco's Bar & Kitchen was opened by Jonathan O'Connor in July of 2008.
- 456 Moody Street - October 29, 2019 - Moody's sent an email saying that Pollo Club is now open.
- 457 Moody Street - Pho & Spice, serving Vietnamese and Thai food opened in July of 2011.
This used to be China Star II, formerly Hong Kong restaurant.
- 458-462 Moody Street - October, 2014 - Santa Banta Indian restaurant opened where Bombay Mahal used to be. They were closed as of August 23, 2017,
to make room for expansion of Moody's next door.
- 464 Moody Street - On August 19, 2014, Wings Express closed. The space
was reopened on April 8, 2015 as a restaurant attached to Moody's Delicatessen and Provisions, called The Back Room.
- 467 Moody Street - In October 2005 the bar known as Frosty's reopened with it's
original name The Lincoln Bar.
- 468 Moody Street - November 12, 2013 - Joshua Smith announced that Moody's Delicatessen and Provisions opened at the site of Salem Foods. The site features a breakfast/lunch deli and gourmet shop in the front and a USDA facility for curing meats in the back. Also, weekly farm-to-table dinners with guest chefs are on the docket.
- 469 Moody Street - Erawan of Siam changed hands in May of 2011.
On March 8, 2015, a sign on the storefront stated that it is now closed. On August 26, 2015 Nonna's Italian Bar & Grill opened. They closed on July 1, 2016.
In December, 2016 Raffaele's Ristorante
opened here. They closed on April 29, 2018. Balani, owned by Dave Becker, opened on 27 October 2018.
- 474 Moody Street - On February 18, 2005 Tempo, an American-style bistro, opened
between the So Cal and Wings Express. The site was once an auto accessory store.
- 482 Moody Street - November 14, 2012 - Co-owner Lou Giovanetti announced that
Charcoal Guido's Pizzeria Bar opened.
- 484 Moody Street - The So-Cal Restaurant
opened in March 2004 at the former storefront of Hanlon's Men's Shoes.
Review. It was closed by February 2006.
In May of the same year, a partnership between the So-Cal owner and a relative of the
owner of Taqueria Mexico opened a new restaurant called The Hungry Coyote (Netzahaualcoyotl)
at the site. By November of the same year, the restaurant closed. It was
Tango Mango from
the spring of 2009, but closed in 2011.
In September, 2011 - Habanero's Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar opened. On December 30, 2013 - A sign on the door of Habanero's read "Happy holiday's Habanero's is closed for renovations Be safe". They have not reopened.
On August 18, 2015 - Amuleto Restaurant opened.
727 Moody Street - Vacated in March of 2003 Franco's Italian Pizzeria moved
across the street to 714 Moody Street.
881 Moody Street - Does anyone remember this? The Ranch House. It was there before Burger King in the 50's.
934 Moody Street - In June of 2011 NY Pie opened at the former site of Moody Street Pizzeria.
- 229 Newton Street - Former site of Casa Mia. A Brazilian restaurant
called Vitoria's Grill opened in December of 2006. Sometime along the way they changed their
name to Panela De Barro.
- 344 Newton Street - January 2007 - Newton St. Deli and Market, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner at 344 Newton Street, opened.
- 5 Pine Street - On October 19, 2012, Sadie's Saloon and Eatery, known for their steak tips and wings, was closed by owner John Ratta after two decades in business. A bar called George's, but often referred to as Ma's, after the old Greek lady who ran it after her husband died, occupied the site before Sadie's opened.
Sakura Japanese Restaurant opened at this address in December of 2014.
- 11 Pine Street - During the summer of 2007 The Boca Bar "A Taste of Costa Rica" opened across from the movie theater. They closed in November of 2012.
January 9, 2014 - The Grill, a new Mediterranean restaurant, opened at 11 Pine Street.
- 64 Pine Street -
Jolly Burger was where Donovan's Bear now called Donovan's Alignment on Pine St. is now
- 53 Prospect Street - In 1974, this was La Lanterna Restaurant. Later,
it was the original location of Il Capriccio, before they moved to Main Street. Now it is Tree Top Thai Cuisine.
- 136 Prospect Street - Watch City Diner, which changed owners a few
years before, again closed during the summer of 2003. It was later open
as Sabatino's Italian Kitchen. On May 1, 2006, Sabatino's reopened on Main Street
at the former site of Mama Josie's.
- 137-139 Prospect Street - This was the Condor Restaurant, up until June 2002.
For a short time after that it was El Gran Jaguar.
Mediterranean Breeze opened
there in November of 2003, but closed again early in 2004. A reopening
under the same name was planned for June, but apparently never happened.
Late in January 2005 the restaurant appeared to be open as the Prospect Cafe.
- 70 River Street - December 20, 2019 - Lily's Kitchen closed.
- 85 River Street - Pini's Pizzeria
used to be George's Cuisine.
- 90 River Street - Brigham's employees were
told on 24 December 2002 that today was the last day of business.
Subway opened at this
location in 2006.
- 154 River Street - Used to be the Ming Terrace Restaurant.
Green Tea House, Chinese & Japanese Cuisine And Sushi Bar opened in August of 2007, and closed by June of 2008.
On December 7, 2008 Guanachapi's Bar & Grill opened at the site. A pickup truck ran into the building, but it remained open for business.
I found that Sacco's Three Sons Restaurant, Inc. was registered at this address on 02/22/1974, but I don't know when they closed. Here's a photo of their ashtray.
A reader noted: There were three paintings hanging in that restaurant that I'm very interested in. They were of the Trapelo Road area specifically dealing with the McAdoo farm. I would love to know what happened to that restaurant and more so those three paintings.
- 434 River Street - A new gourmet deli opened
in early 2004.
- 570 South Street - March 2, 2017 - According to Waltham Patch,
the Chillbox frozen yogurt shop quietly opened at some point over the past month.
Totten Pond Road
- 75 Third Avenue - D'Angelo's Sandwich Shop closed on April 20, 2018.
- 99 Third Avenue - November 23, 2015 - Osteria Posto, an Italian steakhouse, opened. An article by Boston Magazine says that Alpine Restaurant Group, which owns restaurants in Somerville, opened the new restaurant at Waltham's CityPoint development.
March 31, 2018 - Bonefish Grill closed. The parent company that owns the chain is having financial difficulties.
December 3, 2018 - The Local Kitchen & Drinks, a small local chain with restaurants in West Newton, Wayland, Wellesley, and Woburn, is planning to open at 99 3rd Avenue. The new restaurant will replace
- 455 Totten Pond Road - November 12, 2018 - The news is that owner Joey Crugnale is done and is closing the last of his Naked Fish restaurants on December 22. As of 2010, all of the 10 restaurants in the chain except for the Waltham location.
- 500 Totten Pond Road - January 23, 2017 - Ruth's Chris Steak House
- Totten Pond Road - This site was once Thackery's, with an outdoor patio that was always a great place to go for drinks and dinner in the summer. It was torn down when the hotel at the site was renovated.
Waverly Oaks Road
- Cottage Crest, a large, popular local restaurant, closed (early 90's, maybe) and is now a condo development.
- 1019 Trapelo Road - September 29, 2014 - Starbucks was open this morning
at Lexington Street and Trapelo Road.
- 1019 Trapelo Road - April 22, 2016 - Feng Shui Kitchen
opened for take-out Chinese and Japanese meals at the corner of Lexington Street and Trapelo Road
- 411 Waverly Oaks Road - April 7 2006 - The KnowFat! Lifestyle Grille opened. They were closed as of December 4, 2008.
March 25, 2015 - Per Waltham Health Dept: Beat Da Wrap has closed for good. Comes after they paid overdue taxes.
November 2, 2015 - City Streets reopened at 411 Waverley Oaks Road, after having moved from Lexington Street.
December 7, 2018 - Mighty Squirrel
Brewery and Taproom opened at the other side of this plaza.
- 170 Willow Street - Pandorgas closed in 2002.
Unknown Street and address
Please let me know if you have information about these restaurants.
- 380 Winter Street - Early June, 2013 - The Copper House Tavern opened at 380 Winter Street, at the Best Western Hotel site that housed the Piccadilly Pub. Copper House Tavern.
On April 29, 2005 -
Piccadilly Pub opened at the Best Western TLC - This was Michael's Italian Grill. On April 29, 2005, it reopened as Piccadilly Pub. They were closed as of February 2012, and there were
applications in for a new restaurant to take over the common victualer and liquor licenses previously used by the now-shuttered restaurant, on the ground floor of the Best Western.
- 475 Winter Street
- Winter Street Cafe changed its name to Sato. There was once a Chinese restaurant, Lanai Island, at this location. It closed around 1990.
November 21, 2012 -
CEO John Pepper announced that the Boloco restaurant chain was abandoning plans to open a burrito restaurant at 475 Winter Street, vacated by Wineseller of Selene several years ago. He said that delays from Waltham's Rules & Ordinance Committee were to blame for not receiving a special fast food permit nearly 2 years after they had signed a Letter of Intent. Sato Restaurant was closed as of February 2, 2015. Umi opened at this location in August of 2015.
- November, 2015 - Jimmy John's
opened at the plaza.
Thank you for your history of Waltham restaurants. My Father-in -law who is 90 grow up until HS in Waltham when he moved to Woburn. A member of the Smith family unfortunately a very common name. His father built homes on Auburn st, Prospect etc. and his mother worked at a restaurant called the Blarney Stone. Which according to my searches , is no longer there. Again unfortunately it this would be decades ago. I wonder if that rings a bell with you.for any information. If not, I certainly understand.
Was wondering about Helen's restaurant? Would truly love to contact Jim and Vanthy