The Bleachery

Waltham Bleachery and Dye Works began operations in 1820. It closed in 1951, when Raytheon bought the site. These photographs document what is left of the site.

The site of the bleachery can be reached via the Calvary Street foot bridge.

The Bleachery trestle supported the train line to the factory. The new foot bridge gives visitors a way across the river.

This sluice carried the waste from the bleach factory, sometimes turning the river downstream bright colors. A small park at the site can be reached from the shopping center on River Street.

This mural, just beyond the trestle, was painted by local art students.

The Bleachery dam.

Another view of the trestle.

Waltham Community home page
Waltham photographs directory
Copyright © 1998, 2014 by Scott Shurr. All rights reserved.
Contact Scott Shurr at Created: September, 1998. Updated: 19 May 2014

Community Web logo