The Bleachery - The area south of Grove Street and north
of the river and River Street was named after the former Waltham Bleachery
and Die Works.
Cedarwood - The section south of Weston Road and west of
Summit Avenue was promoted as Cedarwood when it was developed in the 1920s.
Cedarwood Association -
Contact: Eloise M. Lyman - 340 Florence Road - 781-899-7369
The Cedarwood Association is a social and advocacy group that sponsors
an annual picnic, yard sale, family events and scholarship fund.
Volunteer opportunities: New neighbor get-togethers, playground
committee, public safety committee.
The Chemistry - This neighborhood was established after
the Newton Chemical Company, established in the late 1800s, closed its doors.
It includes the area around Pine Street and the river.
Glen Meadow East and West - Neighborhoods
of ranch houses built in the 1950's in North Waltham. Many of
these 2 and 3 bedroom homes have been expanded to larger ranches or multi-level homes,
and a few have been torn down to make room for mcmansions. Glen Meadow East is east
of Lexington Street and south of Trapelo Road, and Glen Meadow West is west of
Lexington Street and north of Trapelo Road.
The Highlands - The area north of the B & M tracks on the side
of Prospect Hill is known as The Highlands. The old Waltham Highlands train depot
on Hammond Street is now an insurance and real estate office.
The Island -
The Island is located in Waltham's southwest corner, adjacent to the
Auburndale section of Newton, and across the Charles River from Angleside.
Formerly Morse Meadow Island, surrounded by the Charles River, it gradually
became a peninsula as the cities of Waltham and Newton encroached on the
water with landfill activities over the course of the 20th century.
The Island can be reached by Woerd Avenue off Crescent Steet in Waltham, or
Rumford Avenue off Lexington Street in Newton. Both "gateways" travel
through commercially zoned property consisting of office, light
manufacturing and warehouse operations. The residential neighborhood is
primarily situated along the Charles River and two of its coves, Cram's
Cove and Purgatory Cove. Housing is mixed, including multi-family homes,
small cottage style houses, large Victorians, and medium sized bungaloes
MDC-managed recreational properties enhance the area, including Forest
Grove and the Woerd Avenue boat launch, providing public boating access to
the scenic "Norumbega Lakes District" of the Charles. Views across the
river and coves include Mt. Feake cemetery, the site of the former pumping
station, Angleside, and portions of Brandeis University. At the center of
the neighborhood is Logan Park, managed by Waltham Parks and Recreation. Island Neighborhood Association -
Contact: Stephen Rourke, President - 36 Riverview Avenue - 781-899-1675
Kendal - The very west end of Main Street is part of
the village of Kendal Green, which is mostly in Weston.
Kendal Common, Inc. -
Contact: Ingeborg Uhlir - 43 Kendall Common Road, Weston 02193 - 781-899-2844
Lakeview - The area around Hardy Pond began as a vacation resort
for wealthy Bostonians.
The Lanes - The area near Worcester Lane, Clark Lane, and Wildwood Lane [see Piety Corner]
Piety Corner -
Piety Corner Club
Contact: Patricia Mullane - 2 Worcester Lane - 781-899-2717 -
The Piety Corner Club is Waltham's oldest neighborhood association.
The group holds monthly meetings.
Photographs of Piety Corner
Prospectville - This neighborhood was flooded when the
Cambridge Reservoir was built in 1894.
Ravenswood Association -
173 Ravenswood Road - 781-899-2349
Robert's - The southern tip of Waltham, west of South
Street, is named after the Robert's Crossing train station.
Waltham Council of Neighborhood Associations -
Contact: Louise Butler - 1625 Trapelo Road - 781-890-2828
WCONA is a coalition of advocacy groups throughout the city that
responds to issues of concern to neighborhoods as needs arise.
Individual WCONA affiliates are listed below.